Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday I'm in love

I'm in love with...... Butter, Chocolate Ganache and Baking (again!!) , I'm glad I got some inspiration back and it's a great way to spend time with mom since she dosn't want to be out that much n_n , so back to the Original post.... Last week I had a great Bakend and in case you don’t know what a Bakend is…. It’s a Weekend of Baking… (duh!, I know), I just had a Bakend…. My 1st time baking SO much ever!!
I made:
-Chocolate Cupcakes
-French Vanilla Cupcakes
-Japanese Cheese Cake
-Strawberry Cream Cheese Cake
-Chocolate Ganache
-Cream Cheese frosting
It might not seem to be THAT much,,, but for me it was, I usually make 1 thing and that’s it.. but 4?? It was a challenge and I’m glad I did it because it’s been a while since the last time I made so many pretty edible things.

I started with the Japanese Cheese Cake, if you don’t know the difference between a Cheese cake and a “Japanese” Cheese Cake it’s OK, I didn’t know the difference until I traveled to Seoul and tried it at “Paris Baguette” , it’s like a mousse/bread… it’s super fluffy, citric and yummy, I made this one because I wanted my mom and sis to try it and because it was something new (to cook).

INGREDIENTS:
- 7 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar (icing sugar)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (don't use flour!!)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (Or 1 if you don’t want such a citric flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2  1/2 cups boiling water

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Beat cream cheese with milk to soften.
4. Add half of the sugar, all the egg yolks, all the cornstarch and all the lemon juice to the beaten cream cheese and Beat until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites separately in a medium sized bowl until foamy. Do NOT let any grease get in the eggs.
6. Gradually add the remaining sugar and all of the cream of tartar to the egg whites, beating on high speed until soft peaks form, about 8-10 minutes.
7.Fold beaten egg whites into the cream cheese mixture, stirring gently. DO NOT BEAT!
8. Pour into cake pan and smooth the surface (A 9inch cake tin) *I used small tins*
9. Place cake pan into a larger roasting pan and place in lower rack of oven.
10. Pour enough of the boiling water into the roasting pan to come half way up the side of the cake pan.
11. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a pick inserted in the middle of the center comes out clean.
12. If the surface becomes too dark while baking cover with a piece of tin foil, but be careful not to open the oven door until it has been in the oven for at least 20 minutes.
13. If you can, let the cheese cake gradually cool for one hour in the oven with the oven turned off.
Didn't follow step 13!

Followed Step 13!




I highly recommend to follow Step 13!!!, you can add some whipped cream and berries on top for decoration purposes :D  but I like it plain with a cup of coffee or a glass of cold milk
Recipes 2, 3 and 3 on the next posts, I didn’t want to make a HUGE POST to bore you, hope you like the Japanese Cheese Cake as much as I did!

-Gisela V.

No comments:

Post a Comment