Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Korean Food in Mexico 6

Restaurant: Chang Won
Location: Florencia 19 Col. Juarez, Cuauhtémoc, D.F
Price Range: 150-300MXP (Per Person)

2 Weeks ago I went for some Korean Food with a friend, it was a Restaurant I've tried before a couple of years ago, to be honest the 1st time I didn't like it very much but on a rainy Sunday afternoon not many places were open so we (I) gave it another chance...

The place is right across the street of BiWon (The 1st Korean Restaurant I visited EVER).
                                      
When we got there the place was almost empty, only 1 table was occupied with 3 Koreans, and so we had the place all for ourself and decided on a table by the window, just when we got seated the waiter handed us the Menu.... Everytime I go for Korean food with someone who dosn't know much about it I recommend Bibimbap because the flavor is not so strong yet is one of Korea's most recognized dish, but my friend wanted something different....something very Korean and so we ordered 김치찌개 (Kimchi Stew), 된장 찌개 (Soybean Paste stew) and 삼겹살 (Thick slices of pork belly).

When we got there I was wondering why the tables were covered, for those of you who have never been to a Korean Restaurant, most of them have a table with an Electric grill... but this time it was covered.... My friend was kind enough (lol) to ask the waiter WHY it was covered and he just said "Because the owner got this portable grill" O_O..... hmmm and WHY oh why did the owner got Portable grills???...that was something we didn't dare to ask because on the inside we were laughing at his first answer... I think it's just waisting money but who knows....

 So... the Food...

The 삼겹살 was frozen so it wasn't that good :( plus we were so into our conversation that we forgot about it and it got cold ...and let me tell you... re-heating it is NOT a good idea (hahah)... I sort of thaught him "how" to eat the 삼겹살 (I'm no expert ok!!) ...for this Dish I would give them 2 out of 5 stars.


You can't go wrong with 김치찌개... it's hot, spicy and an excellent dish for a rainy day :D...By the way I just asked him how the 김치찌개 was and he said "It was good" so I will say 4 out of 5 stars (???)

김치찌개
As for my 된장 찌개 .... it was OK...a bit greasy (don't know why....) and it had clams and I don't like'em very much.... so I didn't eat them so this one will get 3 out of 5 stars

된장 찌개


What I did notice was that portions were smaller thant other places I've been... and I don't complain just because it was smaller but because it was a bit more expensive than...let's say BiWon (By the way... I realized I never actually wrote about this place so I'll do it SOON!) and BiWon is considered one of the "best-nicest" Korean Restaurants of the area. 


As for the 반찬 it was good...everything except for 1 that I never knew what it was... it looked like Kimchi-something but it had the consistency of worms O_O ... we received a great variety plus a very yummy rice... I think it was too much food for the 2 of us but we were there like 2 hours so we had plenty of time to finish almost 
everything :) 




반찬
To be honest... I don't think I'll be going back to that place... I have it 2 chances and non of them amazed me... neither the Food, the Service, the price or the atmosphere ... so Chang Won will only receive 2 1/2 stars out of 5. 

Next time I'll write the review of BiWon (one of my fave places in Korea Town).... I guess I'll have to go back!! Anyone wants to join me?? :D 

-Gisela V. 

No comments:

Post a Comment